Monday, November 5, 2018

Psalm 4 Verse 2 - Approaching God

Continuing on in this series on Psalm 4, today a look at verse 2 of the psalm.

The first verse of Psalm 4 asserted confidence that God would hear and help the psalmist.  The second though, is a plea for him to do so, a call to God for help and mercy.

One possible interpretation of this is that Christ is the speaker of the first verse, but the Church, still seeking to be perfected, is the speaker in the second.

But equally it can be seen as the alternating moods of the psalmist.  In his Confessions St Augustine, for example, commented on the by-play as follows: 'I alternately quaked with fear, and warmed with hope, and with rejoicing in Your mercy, O Father'.

The Latin

The second verse of Psalm 4 in the Vulgate reads:

Miserére mei, * et exáudi oratiónem meam.
misereor, sertus sum, eri 2  to pity, have mercy on
exaudio, ivi, Itum, ire, to hear, hearken to, listen to, give heed to; to regard, answer.
oratio, onisprayer, supplication

Word for word:
Miserere (Have mercy/pity) mei (of me) et (and) exaudi (hear) orationem (the prayer) meam (my).
A selection of English translations for the verse can be found below:
 

DR/MD

Have mercy on me: and hear my prayer.

RSV

Be gracious to me, and hear my prayer.

Brenton

pity me, and hearken to my prayer. 

Cover

have mercy upon me, and hearken unto my prayer.

Knox

have pity on me now, and hear my prayer.

Grail

have mercy and hear me!

Asking God for what we need


These days there is a view around that while it is acceptable to ask things for others in prayer, asking for things for ourselves is somehow selfish.

This is nonsense!

The psalms repeatedly remind us that we must pray and ask God for the things we need.

Asking God for things expresses our sense of dependence on him, our acknowledgement that everything we have, including life itself, comes from him.

 God freely bestows many things on us, but others he reserves, makes conditional on our asking for them, and it is to this category of graces that the psalmist points us here.

Not unrelated to this though, St Benedict's Rule reminds us that when we ask for things from God, we should dos so reverently, conscious of the immense chasm between us and him (see especially chapters 19 and 20).  His comments echo St John Chrysostom’s commentary on this verse:
Typically, when we con­verse with people of a class above us, we make sure that our appearance and gait and attire are as they should be and dialogue with them ac­cordingly. When we approach God, by contrast we yawn, scratch ourselves, look this way and that, pay little attention...If on the contrary we were to approach him with due reverence and prepare ourselves to converse with him as God, then we would know even before receiving what we asked how much benefit we gain…
The point is not the formality, but that our outer demeanour reflects and expresses our inner conviction, as St John Chrysostom goes on to say:
God, after all, looks not for beauty of utterance or turn of phrase but for freshness of spirit; even if we say what just comes into our mind, we go away with our entreaties successful. . . . he is not the one to say, now is not a good time to make your approach, come back later." …there is no obstacle to his heeding to your entreaty as long as you call on him as you should . . . being of sober mind and contrite spirit, approaching him in a flood of tears, seeking nothing of this life, longing for things to come, making petition for spiritual goods...


Psalm 4: Cum invocarem
Vulgate
Douay-Rheims
In finem, in carminibus. Psalmus David.
Unto the end, in verses. A psalm for David.
1 Cum invocárem exaudívit me deus justítiæ meæ: * in tribulatióne dilatásti mihi.
When I called upon him, the God of my justice heard me: when I was in distress, you have enlarged me.
2 Miserére mei, * et exáudi oratiónem meam.
Have mercy on me: and hear my prayer.
3 Filii hóminum, úsquequo gravi corde? *  ut quid dilígitis vanitátem et quæritis mendácium?
O you sons of men, how long will you be dull of heart? Why do you love vanity, and seek after lying?
4 Et scitóte quóniam mirificávit dóminus sanctum suum: * dóminus exáudiet me cum clamávero ad eum.
Know also that the Lord has made his holy one wonderful: the Lord will hear me when I shall cry unto him.
5 Irascímini, et nolíte peccáre: * quæ dícitis in córdibus vestris, in cubílibus vestris compungímini.
Be angry, and sin not: the things you say in your hearts, be sorry for them upon your beds.
6 Sacrificáte sacrifícium justítiæ, et speráte in dómino, * multi dicunt quis osténdit nobis bona?
Offer up the sacrifice of justice, and trust in the Lord: many say, Who shows us good things?
7 Signátum est super nos lumen vultus tui, dómine: * dedísti lætítiam in corde meo.
The light of your countenance, O Lord, is signed upon us: you have given gladness in my heart.
8 A fructu fruménti, vini et ólei sui * multiplicáti sunt.
By the fruit of their corn, their wine, and oil, they rest
9 In pace in idípsum * dórmiam et requiéscam;
In peace in the self same I will sleep, and I will rest
10 Quóniam tu, dómine, singuláriter in spe * constituísti me.
For you, O Lord, singularly have settled me in hope.



You can find the next part in the series here.

No comments:

Post a Comment