Friday, March 31, 2023

Ps 140 v 10 - Fix your eyes on heaven

 Verse 10 of Psalm 140 provides a link to the previous psalm's references to traps, snares and the plots of evil men. 

 Looking at the Latin

10

V

Custódi me a láqueo, quem statuérunt mihi: * et a scándalis operántium iniquitátem.

OR

custodi me a laqueo quem statuerunt mihi et ab scandalis operantibus iniquitatem 

NV

Custodi me a laqueo, quem statuerunt mihi, et a scandalis operantium iniquitatem. 

 

JH

Custodi me de manibus laquei quod posuerunt mihi, et de offendiculus operantium iniquitatem.

 

Sept

φύλαξόν με ἀπὸ παγίδος ἧς συνεστήσαντό μοι καὶ ἀπὸ σκανδάλων τῶν ἐργαζομένων τὴν ἀνομίαν 

[Key: V=Vulgate; OR=Old Roman; NV=Neo-Vulgate; JH=St Jerome's translation from the Hebrew; Sept=Septuagint]

 Phrase by phrase: 

Custódi me a láqueo

quem statuérunt mihi

et a scándalis

operántium iniquitátem.

Keep me from the snare

which they have laid for me

and from the stumbling blocks

of them that work iniquity.

 Word by word 

Custódi (guard) me a (from) láqueo (the trap) quem (which) statuérunt (they have set) mihi (for me) et (and) a (from) scándalis (the traps) operántium (the workers) iniquitátem (of sin). 

Key vocab 

custodio, ivi or ii, itum, ire to guard, watch, keep;to maintain, to hold steadfastly
laqueus, ei, m., a noose for capturing animals; a snare, trap
statuo, ui, utum, ere 3 to set, place, establish; to change, still, calm; to be determined, resolved
scandalum, i, n. lit., a trap, snare, that which causes one to stumble, a stumbling-block
opero are avi atum – form of operor, to work; operantium= plural genitive participle
iniquitas, atis, f iniquity, injustice, sin. 

Selected translations 

DR

Keep me from the snare, which they have laid for me, and from the stumbling blocks of them that work iniquity.

Brenton

Keep me from the snare which they have set for me, and from the stumbling blocks of them that work iniquity.

MD

Preserve me from the snare which they have laid for me, and from the pitfalls of evil men.

RSV

Keep me from the trap which they have laid for me, and from the snares of evildoers!

Cover

Keep me from the snare that they have laid for me, and from the traps of the wicked doers.

Knox

Preserve me from the ambush they have laid for me, from the snares of the wrong-doers. 

Grail

From the trap they have laid for me keep me safe: keep me from the snares of those who do evil.

  [Key: DR=Douay-Rheims Challoner; MD=Monastic Diurnal; RSV=Revised Standard Version; Cover=Coverdale]

What are the snares and stumbling blocks?

Today's verse can be read in multiple ways.

First, if we can see it as a prayer of the agony in the garden, both for the knowledge for himself and for grace for his disciples, in facing the upcoming traps set by his persecutors.

Secondly, it can be read more broadly as a request for grace for us all as we face the trials and temptations of this life.

St Augustine, for example, argues that the trap referred to here is the pleasures of this world:

What was the trap? If you consent, I spare you. In the trap was set the bait of the present life; if the bird love this bait, it falls into the trap: but if the bird be able to say, The day of man have I not desired...

 Other commentators interpret the verse more generally.  St Jerome, for example, points to the dangers of heresy, demonic influence, and most especially the temptation to pride, which can undermine even our attempts at Lenten penances:

Vice is certainly the next door neighbor to virtue. A trap is set for me in almsgiving if I stretch out my hand in order to be seen by men and, while appearing to do a good work, I fall into imperfection and sin. If I give away an undergarment to a brother for the benefit of those who are looking on, a demon has laid a snare for me...therefore, in the very path in which we are striving to walk, that is, in the virtues, in almsgiving, that we may perform these acts to be seen by men and win their vain applause, in fasts, in prayer, in haircloth that we may show off ourselves. The man who wears haircloth ought to be lamenting his sins and not pluming himself in the sight of others. 

The need for grace in facing the unexpected

There are some temptations and traps though, we can readily guard ourselves against; others though, can be unexpected, and it is for these that we especially need God's help, St John Chrysostom argued:


Here he is not referring simply to schemes but to hidden traps of the kind not easy to guard against and detect; hence they require in particular even grace from on high. For this reason, then, he brings his theme to a close with a prayer, concluding with it as he had opened with it, showing that on the one hand what is his to offer is this - hope in God, always looking to God, shunning their gatherings, hating their evil desires - and on the other hand what comes from God help, assistance, rendering him proof against wiles difficult to detect. This is what virtue consists of, in fact: both application of our zeal and support from God's assistance. 

Vulgate

Douay-Rheims

Psalmus David.

A psalm of David.

1 Dómine, clamávi ad te, exáudi me: * inténde voci meæ, cum clamávero ad te.

I have cried to you, O Lord, hear me: hearken to my voice, when I cry to you.

2  Dirigátur orátio mea sicut incénsum in conspéctu tuo: * elevátio mánuum meárum sacrifícium vespertínum.

2 Let my prayer be directed as incense in your sight; the lifting up of my hands, as evening sacrifice.

3  Pone, Dómine, custódiam ori meo: * et óstium circumstántiæ lábiis meis.

Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth: and a door round about my lips.

4  Non declínes cor meum in verba malítiæ: * ad excusándas excusatiónes in peccátis.

4 Incline not my heart to evil words; to make excuses in sins.

5  Cum homínibus operántibus iniquitátem: * et non communicábo cum eléctis eórum

With men that work iniquity: and I will not communicate with the choicest of them

6  Corrípiet me justus in misericórdia, et increpábit me: * óleum autem peccatóris non impínguet caput meum.

5 The just man shall correct me in mercy, and shall reprove me: but let not the oil of the sinner fatten my head.

7  Quóniam adhuc et orátio mea in beneplácitis eórum: * absórpti sunt juncti petræ júdices eórum.

For my prayer shall still be against the things with which they are well pleased: 6 Their judges falling upon the rock have been swallowed up.

8  Audient verba mea quóniam potuérunt: * sicut crassitúdo terræ erúpta est super terram.

They shall hear my words, for they have prevailed: 7 As when the thickness of the earth is broken up upon the ground:

9  Dissipáta sunt ossa nostra secus inférnum: * quia ad te, Dómine, Dómine, óculi mei: in te sperávi, non áuferas ánimam meam.

Our bones are scattered by the side of hell. 8 But to you, O Lord, Lord, are my eyes: in you have I put my trust, take not away my soul.

10  Custódi me a láqueo, quem statuérunt mihi: * et a scándalis operántium iniquitátem.

9 Keep me from the snare, which they have laid for me, and from the stumbling blocks of them that work iniquity.

11  Cadent in retiáculo ejus peccatóres: * singuláriter sum ego donec tránseam.

10 The wicked shall fall in his net: I am alone until I pass.

For notes on the final verse of Psalm 140, continue on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment