Thursday, April 4, 2019

Psalm 53 v 3 - On being strangers to the world, the flesh and the devil





Verse 3 of Psalm 53 states the central problem of the psalm: people the psalmist doesn’t know are seeking to harm him, ignoring all thought of God. Theodoret of Cyr paraphrased it as follows:

I need your assistance and support, 0 Lord, he is saying, harassed as I am by impious men trusting in their great power, human though it is and dependent on this belief in many gods, and longing to dispatch me to death. They presume to make this attempt against me, however, since they are ignorant of your providence, or rather they even despise it.

Quóniam aliéni insurrexérunt advérsum me, et fortes quæsiérunt ánimam meam: et non proposuérunt Deum ante conspéctum suum
For strangers have risen up against me; and the mighty have sought after my soul: and they have not set God before their eyes.

Looking at the Latin

The key vocabulary for this verse is:

alienus i m strange, not one's own; a stranger in a hostile, unfriendly sense
insurgo, surrexi, surrectum, ere 3 to rise up against, revolt against;
adversus or adversum, prep, with ace against; in the presence of, over against, before.
fortis, e, strong, mighty, patient, long-suffering
quaero, sivi, situm, ere 3,  to seek, seek after; to will, desire, think upon.
propono posui positum ere 3 to set or place before; to prefer, give preference to
ante, +acc, before,
conspectus, us, m. sight, presence;

Accordingly, a word by word rendering of the verse is:
Quóniam (for/because) aliéni (strangers) insurrexérunt (they have risen up) advérsum (against) me, et (and) fortes (the strong) quæsiérunt (they seek) ánimam (the soul) meam (mine): * et (and) non (not) proposuérunt (they have set/placed) Deum (God) ante (before) conspéctum (the sight/presence) suum (their).

A selection of English translations of the verse are set out below:

DR
For strangers have risen up against me;
and the mighty have sought after my soul:
and they have not set God before their eyes.
Brenton
For strangers have risen up against me,
and mighty men have sought my life:
they have not set God before them.
RSV
For insolent men have risen against me,
ruthless men seek my life;
they do not set God before them.
Coverdale
For strangers are risen up against me;
and tyrants, which have not God before their eyes,
seek after my soul.
Knox
Scornful foes take arms against me,
fierce foes that grudge me life itself,
with no thought of God to check them.
Collegeville
For strangers have risen up against me,
and the mighty have sought my soul;
they set not God before their sight.
Grail
For proud men have risen against me,
ruthless men seek my life.
They have no regard for God.

Strangers or the proud and arrogant?

One of the key differences between the translations given above reflects the debate around the word alieni.

In the Scriptural story alluded to in the title of the verse, the strangers in question, the Ziphites, were Jews not gentiles, so the verse would seem not to be talking about foreigners.  

Some have argued, though, that in fact the Septuagint is a misreading of the original Hebrew, which should have been read as zedim (violent or arrogant ones), rather than zarim (strangers), and both the Pian and neo-Vulgate translations take this position.  

However, Jerome’s translation from the Hebrew, the Masoretic Text (which uses zuwr, Strong's H2114) and the Syriac all agree with the Septuagint in this case.

Vulgate
Quóniam aliéni insurrexérunt advérsum me,
et fortes quæsiérunt ánimam meam: *
et non proposuérunt Deum ante conspéctum suum.
Pian
Nam superbi insurrexerunt contra me,
Et violenti quaesierunt vitam meam;
Non proposuerunt Deum ante oculos suos.
Neo-Vulgate
Quoniam superbi insurrexerunt adversum me,
et fortes quaesierunt animam meam
et non proposuerunt Deum ante conspectum suum.
Jerome from the HebrewH
Quia alieni insurrexerunt adversum me,
et fortes quaesierunt animam meam,
et non posuerunt Deum in conspectu suo.
Septuagint
ὅτι ἀλλότριοι ἐπανέστησαν ἐ{P'} ἐμέ
καὶ κραταιοὶ ἐζήτησαν τὴν ψυχήν μου
οὐ προέθεντο τὸν θεὸν ἐνώπιον αὐτῶν διάψαλμα

Who are strangers to us?

In what sense then, are the Ziphites strangers to David (and Christ's betrayers to him)?

The first and most obvious meaning of stranger in this verse is simply people we don’t personally know.

David’s persecution by Saul was unjust, but he did at least know him, as St Robert Bellarmine notes:
Saul’s persecution was entirely grounded on his fears that David would, at one time come to the throne; and, therefore, sought to have his life at any risk; for though he knew him to be innocent, yet, so blinded was he by the desire of keeping the sovereignty in his own family, that he looked upon as fair and honorable, what, in reality, was the height of injustice..

What though is the motivation of the Ziphites?  St Thomas Aquinas suggests three: their inherent dispositions and desires, or what St Cassiodorus describes as the malevolence of their deranged minds; a desire for and trust in secular power wealth; and a contempt for God.

But the verse is applicable to Judas too, the Fathers argued, because we become strangers to God when we reject him through our action: strangers, St Cassiodorus argues, means ‘those who have become foreign to the Lord through their works’.

The problem of practical atheism

Although the title to the psalm talks specifically about individuals who betrayed David (and hence Christ), the Fathers also interpreted strangers to refer to the temptations that also assail us all, such as a desire for wealth, pleasure and power.

St Augustine, for example, warned that the mighty men who seek our souls can take the form of the world, the flesh and devil, and that by succumbing to these sources of temptation, we can become strangers to Christ.

Interestingly, the psalm’s reference to those who act as if God doesn’t exist is also a key theme that runs through the Benedictine version of Prime.

Many of the psalms St Benedict sets for Prime (Ps 1-2, 6-19) mirror the opening verses of Psalms 53’s plea for God to hear our prayer and vindicate the speaker; many are pleas for help in the face of persecution by enemies.  

And the proud, and arrogant who act as if God does not exist are the key target of the psalmists woes in this group of psalms.

On Monday for example, St Benedict sets Psalm 2, which deals with the kings of the earth – usually interpreted as Herod and the Jewish leaders – conspiring against Christ; on Wednesday, the section of Psalm 9 set for the hour uses almost the same words as Psalm 53 (Non est Deus in conspectus eius) to complain of the sinner who oppresses the poor seemingly without fear of consequences; and on Thursday Psalm 13 opens with the verse, The fool says in his heart, there is no God’.

Vulgate
Douay-Rheims
 In finem, in carminibus. Intellectus David, 2 cum venissent Ziphæi, et dixissent ad Saul : Nonne David absconditus est apud nos?
Unto the end, in verses, understanding for David. 2 When the men of Ziph had come and said to Saul: Is not David hidden with us?
1 Deus, in nómine tuo salvum me fac: * et in virtúte tua júdica me.
3 Save me, O God, by your name, and judge me in your strength.
2  Deus, exáudi oratiónem meam: * áuribus pércipe verba oris mei.
4 O God, hear my prayer: give ear to the words of my mouth.
3  Quóniam aliéni insurrexérunt advérsum me, et fortes quæsiérunt ánimam meam: * et non proposuérunt Deum ante conspéctum suum.
5 For strangers have risen up against me; and the mighty have sought after my soul: and they have not set God before their eyes.
4 Ecce enim Deus ádjuvat me: * et Dóminus suscéptor est ánimæ meæ.
6 For behold God is my helper: and the Lord is the protector of my soul.
5  Avérte mala inimícis meis: * et in veritáte tua dispérde illos.
7 Turn back the evils upon my enemies; and cut them off in your truth.
6  Voluntárie sacrificábo tibi, * et confitébor nómini tuo, Dómine: quóniam bonum est :
8 I will freely sacrifice to you, and will give praise, O God, to your name: because it is good:
7  Quóniam ex omni tribulatióne eripuísti me: * et super inimícos meos despéxit óculus meus.
9 For you have delivered me out of all trouble: and my eye has looked down upon my enemies.

And you can find the next post in this series on Psalm 53 here.

No comments:

Post a Comment