Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Psalm 53 v 7 - On the downfall of our enemies

Romanesque c1220


The final verse of Psalm 53 reinforces our reasons for praising God, focusing on his his work of rescuing us.

Quóniam ex omni tribulatióne eripuísti me: et super inimícos meos despéxit óculus meus.
For you have delivered me out of all trouble: and my eye has looked down upon my enemies.


Looking at the Latin

The key vocabulary for the verse is:

omnis, e, all, each, every
tribulatio, onis, f. , trouble, distress, anguish, affliction, tribulation
eripio, ripui, reptum, ere 3  to snatch away, to rescue, deliver
super +acc=above, upon, over, in, on
despicio, spexi, spectum, ere 3 to look away from, not to look at, to slight; to despise; to look down upon

A word by word translation runs:
Quóniam (For/because) ex (from) omni (all) tribulatióne (trouble) eripuísti (you have rescued me: * et (and) super (upon) inimícos (the enemies) meos (my) despéxit (it/he has looked down upon) óculus (the eye) meus (my).

The second phrase of the verse is the hardest to convey the sense of in English.  The Knox version, ‘Who else has delivered me from all peril, and let me see the downfall of my enemies?’, is probably the best:

DR
For you have delivered me out of all trouble:
and my eye has looked down upon my enemies.
Brenton
For thou hast delivered me out of all affliction,
and mine eye has seen my desire upon mine enemies.
RSV
For thou hast delivered me from every trouble,
and my eye has looked in triumph on my enemies.
Cover
For he hath delivered me out of all my trouble;
and mine eye hath seen his desire upon mine enemies.
Knox
who else has delivered me from all peril,
and let me see the downfall of my enemies?
College
For you have snatched me from all my affliction,
and my eye looks down upon my enemies.
Grail
For you have rescued me from all distress
and my eyes have seen the downfall of my foes.


Suffering leads us to love of God

Modern commentaries often implicitly or explicitly reject the need for us to call for help in times of trouble, seeing it as altogether too mercenary.   They insist instead that love of God springs into being spontaneously and instantly.

The Fathers, however, pointed out that our sufferings and tribulations are necessary in order to lead us to God.  St Augustine for example said:
For this cause I have perceived how good a thing is Your name: for if this I were able before tribulations to acknowledge, perchance for me there had been no need of them. But tribulation has been applied for admonition, admonition has redounded to Your praise. For I should not have understood where I was, except of my weakness I had been admonished. Out of all tribulations, therefore, You have delivered me.

Similarly Theodoret of Cyr noted that:
Because you have rescued me from every tribulation, and my eye has looked down on my foes I shall offer you the sacrifice of praise, recounting your favors. This, in fact, is useful to me and pleasing to you (and to all helped by you). It is right for me to do this, freed as I have been from calamities of all kinds and contemplating the ruin of the enemies.

The defeat of our enemies

The more difficult part of this verse is the second: does it really imply we should rejoice over the downfall of our enemies?

St Hilary of Poitiers argued otherwise, applying the verse above all to Christ:
For the Only-begotten Son of God was not cut off by death. It is true that in order to take the whole of our nature upon Him He submitted to death, that is to the apparent severance of soul and body, and made His way even to the realms below, the debt which man must manifestly pay: but He rose again and abides for ever and looks down with an eye that death cannot dim upon His enemies, being exalted unto the glory of God and born once more Son of God after becoming Son of Man, as He had been Son of God when He first became Son of Man, by the glory of His resurrection. 
He looks down upon His enemies to whom He once said: Destroy this temple, and in three days I will build it up. And so, now that this temple of His body has been built again, He surveys from His throne on high those who sought after His soul, and, set far beyond the power of human death, He looks down from heaven upon those who wrought His death, He who suffered death, yet could not die, the God-Man, our Lord Jesus Christ, Who is blessed for ever and ever. Amen.

That said, there is nothing at all wrong in being glad that we have been delivered from those who seek to harm or kill us.  St Thomas Aquinas for example commented:
 And I will even praise you in regards to my enemies, because My eye hath looked down upon my enemies, because they were not able to kill me, or, Hath looked down, etc., because he disdains their happiness and prosperity; In his sight the malignant is brought to nothing.


Vulgate
Douay-Rheims
 In finem, in carminibus. Intellectus David, 2 cum venissent Ziphæi, et dixissent ad Saul : Nonne David absconditus est apud nos?
Unto the end, in verses, understanding for David. 2 When the men of Ziph had come and said to Saul: Is not David hidden with us?
1 Deus, in nómine tuo salvum me fac: * et in virtúte tua júdica me.
3 Save me, O God, by your name, and judge me in your strength.
2  Deus, exáudi oratiónem meam: * áuribus pércipe verba oris mei.
4 O God, hear my prayer: give ear to the words of my mouth.
3  Quóniam aliéni insurrexérunt advérsum me, et fortes quæsiérunt ánimam meam: * et non proposuérunt Deum ante conspéctum suum.
5 For strangers have risen up against me; and the mighty have sought after my soul: and they have not set God before their eyes.
4 Ecce enim Deus ádjuvat me: * et Dóminus suscéptor est ánimæ meæ.
6 For behold God is my helper: and the Lord is the protector of my soul.
5  Avérte mala inimícis meis: * et in veritáte tua dispérde illos.
7 Turn back the evils upon my enemies; and cut them off in your truth.
6  Voluntárie sacrificábo tibi, * et confitébor nómini tuo, Dómine: quóniam bonum est :
8 I will freely sacrifice to you, and will give praise, O God, to your name: because it is good:
7  Quóniam ex omni tribulatióne eripuísti me: * et super inimícos meos despéxit óculus meus.
9 For you have delivered me out of all trouble: and my eye has looked down upon my enemies.

And the concluding post in this series on Psalm 53 can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment