Monday, April 8, 2019

Psalm 53 v6 - Offering the sacrifice of praise


 Image result for divine office

Verse 6 of Psalm 53 speaks of the return the speaker will give for the help that God has given him.

Voluntárie sacrificábo tibi,
et confitébor nómini tuo, Dómine:
 quóniam bonum est.
I will freely sacrifice to you,
and will give praise, O God, to your name:
because it is good.

Looking at the Latin

The key vocabulary for this verse is:

voluntarium a free-will offering.
sacrifico, avi, atum, are to offer something to God in atonement for sin, sacrifice.
confiteor, fessus sum, eri  to praise, give thanks; confess, acknowledge one's guilt.
bonus, a, um, good;  pleasant; upright  good things, possessions, prosperity.

A word by word literal translation is:
 Voluntárie (With a free will offering) sacrificábo(I will sacrifice) tibi (to you), * et (and) confitébor (I will confess) nómini (to the name) tuo (your), Dómine (O Lord): quóniam (because) bonum (good) est (it is).

A freewill offering, in the historical context of the psalm, literally meant one not prescribed by the law, for example for expiation of sins or other required sacrifice.

The various English translations offer a variety of renderings of the phrase to try and convey the sense of it:

DR
I will freely sacrifice to you, and will give praise, O God,
 to your name: because it is good.
Brenton
I will willingly sacrifice to thee: 
I will give thanks to thy name, O Lord; for it is good.
RSV
With a freewill offering I will sacrifice to thee; 
I will give thanks to thy name, O LORD, for it is good.
Cover
An offering of a free heart will I give thee, 
and praise thy Name, O Lord, because it is so comfortable.
Knox
So will I joyfully offer thee sacrifice, 
and praise thy name, Lord, as praised it must ever be;
College
With a free heart will I offer you sacrifice,
I will praise your name O Lord for its goodness
Grail
I will sacrifice to you with willing heart
 and praise your name for it is good:


 On assorted heresies and the sacrifice of Christ

Today’s verse has famously given rise to more than a few heresies, featuring at different times in the battles around semi-Pelagianism, the Lutherans and the Jansenists to argue that all offerings must be free, and not compelled.

It is certainly true that the Father’s early interpreted the verse as foreshadowing the sacrifice of Christ on the cross that frees us from the requirement to offer the sacrifices of the law. 

St Hilary of Poitier, for example, commented:
The sacrifices of the Law, which consisted of whole burnt-offerings and oblations of goats and of bulls, did not involve an expression of free will, because the sentence of a curse was pronounced on all who broke the Law....It was from this curse that our Lord Jesus Christ redeemed us…He offered Himself to the death of the accursed that He might break the curse of the Law, offering Himself voluntarily a victim to God the Father, in order that by means of a voluntary victim the curse which attended the discontinuance of the regular victim might be removed…

St Thomas Aquinas, however, pointed out that in the context of the psalm, the verse is promising a return for the help that has been given to the speaker:
Here he sets down that which he gives in return…He intends to give back in return in two ways, by sacrifice and by giving praise.

What is it then, that we should offer?

The Fathers and Theologians offer a variety of suggestions as to what it is we should offer by way of sacrifice and praise.

One obvious interpretation of it is the sacrifice of the Mass, and the sacrifice of praise in the Office.

But St Cassiodorus saw the verse as particularly building on the previous, imprecatory verse, and putting it in a proper context by reinforcing the idea that it is a prayer for the conversion of our enemies, not their condemnation:
I will freely sacrifice to thee, and will confess, 0 Lord, to thy name because it is good. He freely sacrifices to the Lord when he prays with pious zeal for his enemies. The person who seeks vengeance on his enemies, who desires to avenge himself because of calamities imposed by others, or who prays for other worldly needs, does not sacrifice freely to the Lord because he does not pray out of love for Him, but begs for His power because of his need for certain things.

St Thomas makes three additional suggestions.  First, consistent with Psalm 50, he points to the offer of a contrite and humble spirit; secondly, he suggests the offering of physical sufferings; and the third is when we do good things.

The importance of intention

Either way, the key is our intention.

St Cassiodorus, for example, commented:
Freely sacrificing to the Lord means offering the purity of a good intention, and worshipping, fearing, loving Him only because He is known to be God the Creator, the loving Dispenser of all things. They also freely sacrifice to God who give thanks continually during hardships of sufferings, as the holy man Job is said to have done. …the desire to praise Him is a good beyond reckoning, the source both of refreshment for the de­voted mind and of escape from the enmity of this world.

 Our ideal, of course, should be to offer our sacrifices out of love, as St Augustine argued:
Wherefore then voluntarily? Because truly I love that which I praise. I praise God, and in the self-same praise I rejoice: in the praise of Himself I rejoice, at whom being praised, I blush not. For He is not praised in the same manner as by those who love the theatrical follies is praised either by a charioteer, or a hunter, or actor of any kind, and by their praisers, other praisers are invited, are exhorted, to shout together: and when all have shouted, ofttimes, if their favourite is overcome, they are all put to the blush. Not so is our God: be He praised with the will, loved with charity: let it be gratuitous (or voluntary) that He is loved and that He is praised. What is gratuitous? Himself for the sake of Himself, not for the sake of something else.


Vulgate
Douay-Rheims
 In finem, in carminibus. Intellectus David, 2 cum venissent Ziphæi, et dixissent ad Saul : Nonne David absconditus est apud nos?
Unto the end, in verses, understanding for David. 2 When the men of Ziph had come and said to Saul: Is not David hidden with us?
1 Deus, in nómine tuo salvum me fac: * et in virtúte tua júdica me.
3 Save me, O God, by your name, and judge me in your strength.
2  Deus, exáudi oratiónem meam: * áuribus pércipe verba oris mei.
4 O God, hear my prayer: give ear to the words of my mouth.
3  Quóniam aliéni insurrexérunt advérsum me, et fortes quæsiérunt ánimam meam: * et non proposuérunt Deum ante conspéctum suum.
5 For strangers have risen up against me; and the mighty have sought after my soul: and they have not set God before their eyes.
4 Ecce enim Deus ádjuvat me: * et Dóminus suscéptor est ánimæ meæ.
6 For behold God is my helper: and the Lord is the protector of my soul.
5  Avérte mala inimícis meis: * et in veritáte tua dispérde illos.
7 Turn back the evils upon my enemies; and cut them off in your truth.
6  Voluntárie sacrificábo tibi, * et confitébor nómini tuo, Dómine: quóniam bonum est :
8 I will freely sacrifice to you, and will give praise, O God, to your name: because it is good:
7  Quóniam ex omni tribulatióne eripuísti me: * et super inimícos meos despéxit óculus meus.
9 For you have delivered me out of all trouble: and my eye has looked down upon my enemies.

And for the next part in this series, continue on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment